Dear Sister Croft: You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the California Oakland/San Francisco Mission. . . You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, October 26, 2011. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish language.I am so excited! The thought of serving in California had actually not crossed my mind at all. Before I opened my call, my best guess had been Canada, but I had never guessed California. It feels totally comfortable though, and I am so excited to serve! I am especially excited to become fluent in Spanish. I know the Lord has given me this assignment because it's exactly where I need to be, and I'm sure that will become more and more clear as time goes on.
So now, some facts I've learned about my mission area (mostly from Wikipedia):
- Oakland is the 8th-largest city in California. San Francisco is the 4th most populous city in CA and 13th most populous in the United States
- Oakland has a Mediterranean climate with an average of 300 sunny days a year. YESSS.
- San Francisco has the oldest Chinatown in the United States
- The racial makeup of San Francisco is 48.5% White, 6.1 % African American, 0.5% Native American, 33.3 % Asian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, 6.6 "Other, " 4.7% mixed race, and 15.1% Hispanic or Latino. Oakland is similarly super diverse. Awesome!
- Oakland has been consistently listed as one of the country's most dangerous large cities. Nice.