Monday, June 4, 2012

Last week of the transfer!

I can't believe we're already at the end of the transfer.  My first three
weeks here in San Fran crept by, but the last two have flown really
quickly.  Hopefully that means I'm getting more comfortable in the area and
I've been working harder!

This week was a lot better compared to last week.   It was still
humbling, as always, but in different ways.  After making a lot of
corrections, we started working a lot more effectively.  And after biting
the bullet and getting over my fear of confronting people, I finally took
the lead in making some corrections in the "false traditions" (that makes
it sound worse than it really was) that have existed in the area.
We've felt the support of the Lord backing us up in our efforts to try and
be more obedient and submissive to how He wants us to preach His gospel.
And personally, I've felt the weight lifted off my shoulders as I've
finally worked up the boldness to just open my mouth and follow the Spirit
to say what needs to be said within the companionship.  My companion is
great and totally willing to make changes and work hard.

This week we hit the pavement and haven't stopped!  We've only got one
solid investigator as of right now, even after many hours of searching, but
we're seeing the blessings of the gospel already in her life.  Her name is
Nay.  We knocked on her door and she let us right in immediately after we
introduced ourselves.  She has a lot of struggles in her life.  Her
children are way off the beaten path and they don't respect her.  It gives
her a lot of pain, and she wants to know about the gospel because she wants
to help them change.  She said that they won't ever change until they see
her change.  We've been trying to help her understand the principle of
agency and of what she can do to progress.  She has a good heart, and
really is desperate to find something to help her family.  She's let us
meet with her almost every day this week, and we're praying really hard
that she'll progress.

It's so great to be a missionary.  We see miracles literally in everything
we do.  One day this week, every corner we turned, we ran into someone that
we'd had contact with before.  It was literally three in a row--a former
investigator crossing the crosswalk right in front of us, an investigator
who we lost contact with sitting on a bench by the road after we took a
wrong turn, and a potential investigator walking down the street right
after we got rejected at someone's door.  Three people, all of whom we
thought we'd lost contact with, contacted again in less than an hour!
Tender mercies are all around and Heavenly Father is aware of everything
that's going on in all of His children's lives!  It's truly amazing.

Funny story of the week--I got my first black eye!  Well, it's not really a
"shiner," but you can see it, haha.  On a windy day we stopped in front of
a house to get something out of the trunk.  I opened the trunk and leaned
in to get what I needed.  As I straightened up, a big gust of wind caught
the door of the trunk and it slammed into my face by my right eye.  Ow!  It
must have looked hilarious.  It hurt!  I was just glad it didn't get my
nose.   I should have taken pictures of when it was bruised-looking.
Luckily I'm almost always tired, so I have dark circles under my eyes
anyway and you can't really tell I have a black eye!  Bahaha.  And no, no
vision problems or headaches or concussions or structural damage.  

No comments:

Post a Comment